Monday, July 8, 2013
GPS / Database ANDROID Programming
This book is a step-by-step guide for developing 'gps', a full-fledged Android app. It also can be used as an intro book on Android programming.
The gps app:
• locates the user's position on the map
• e-mails the location in a URL form that positions the location on the Google Maps Web page
• inserts the current location of the user into the SQLite database
• retrieves locations from the database and places them in a list view. The user then chooses to view locations from the list on the map.
• allows the user to tap on the screen to place markers and find the latitude, longitude pair of the point pressed
• translates the name of a city or place to latitude, longitude and marks the location on the map
Topics covered are:
• Basics of the Eclipse IDE
• XML and Java Programming
• Screen layouts
• Global Positioning System (GPS)
• Google Maps
• SQLite Database development
• Marker and Overlays design
• App installation on the smartphone device
The book Includes complete source code commentary and a companion site for downloading the .java, .xml and .png files and the gps.apk.